Broccoli and grapes. First time I heard of this combination was this past weekend. A friend of mine made some for a cookout we were both going to. I was pretty skeptical. I was thinking to myself, there is no way that this could possibly be good. I tried and it was pretty dang good. I was surprised. So, of course, I had to make my own version.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Al dente. I usually do about a minute less than what the package says for ‘al dente’ because I’m a rebel.
While waiting on water to boil, cook your bacon. I like to slice it up before I cook it, instead of trying to crumble it up later and getting my hands greasy.
You can also completely skip the bacon if you’re a vegetarian or cook the bacon, but serve it on the side if you are feeding a crowd. Give people the option to bacon their pasta salad!
Once you’ve got your bacon going, start chopping up the broccoli, celery, & onion. I used 1 small head of broccoli, 1 celery stalk, and a few thin slices of red onion.
Chop up the broccoli real small. Finely dice the onion & celery.
Now would also be a good time to rinse your grapes.
Drain pasta and allow to cool. Set aside bacon on a paper towel.
Whisk together mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, & ground black pepper.
Once the pasta has cooled, mix everything together in a large bowl. Throw in remaining sunflower seeds, if using. Using a wooden spoon, gently fold ingredients until well combined.
Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill for a few hours before serving
This makes a great side dish for a picnic or potluck, or you can eat it straight up by itself. I won’t judge you.
This recipe can be easily doubled if you are feeding a large crowd. I always tend to make smaller recipes since I am only feeding two people and only one of us will eat leftovers.
- 1 cup red grapes; washed
- 1/2 pound broccoli; chopped
- 4 oz bowtie pasta; cooked according to package
- 1 stalk celery; finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion; finely diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 TBS sugar
- 2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt; more or less to taste
- fresh ground black pepper; to taste
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds; optional
- 4 slices bacon; optional
- Cook bowtie pasta according to package. Drain & set aside until cooled.
- Slice bacon and cook until crispy. Drained on paper towels and set aside. (If using)
- Chop Broccoli into small pieces.
- Finely dice celery & red onion.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, & pepper.
- Gently combine all ingredients in a large bowl, including the remaining sunflower seeds if using.
- Cover with plastic wrap & chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
- Recipe can be doubled if feeding a large crowd.